st: RE: What does contribution to chi-square mean in tabchii

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: What does contribution to chi-square mean in tabchii
Date   Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:35:31 -0000

-tabchii- is a user-written command. A version
which will work in Stata 6 through 8 is
available from the -tab_chi- package on SSC
and an earlier version which will work in
Stata 5 is available from
http://www.stata.com/users/njc/tab_chi/

I am not sure what kind of answer Don
wants here. The definition of contribution
given in the help file is

(observed frequency - expected frequency)^2
	/ expected frequency

and Don clearly understands that. The
programmer's intent in allowing
such contributions to be shown was that
some users like to see that step, perhaps
even as a check on hand calculations.
Personally I much prefer to look at
the (signed) square root of that

(observed freq - expected freq)
	/ sqrt(expected frequency)

given the usual argument that the direction of
deviation from expectation is often helpful
in interpretation. These quantities are called Pearson
residuals in -tabchii- and indeed
elsewhere. And in turn a refinement
on that, the adjusted residual,
has a distribution in the null case