st: RE: Truncating x-axis in kernel density graphs

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: Truncating x-axis in kernel density graphs
Date   Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:10:06 +0100

An alternative to working in log and back-transform the density might here
be to use an adaptive kernel density estimate (-findit akdensity- for
files and material).

The following lines should get you near what you want:

* 1/ get -akdensity-
net from  http://www.stata-journal.com/software/sj3-2/
net install st0037
* 2/ estimate the density and save the coordinates
akdensity XXX , nograph gen(x fx)
* plot in the range you want
tw line fx x if x<ZZZ

Hope this helps,

Philippe

<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>
Philippe Van Kerm
 CEPS/INSTEAD
 BP48, L-4501 Differdange
 G.-D. Luxembourg
 [email protected]
<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

st: RE: Truncating x-axis in kernel density graphs

Ramani Gunatilaka

> I am plotting kernel density functions of per capita
> household consumption for three years on the same graph.
> All three distributions are skewed to the left and have
> very long tails extending to the right.
> I would like to truncate the x axis at a certain
> consumption value so that the long tail is dropped and the
> area where all the action is, stretched across so that the
> changes are more visible.
> I have explored the graph scale options and Stata list
> archives but couldn't find anything that related to my
> particular problem.
> If I were to specify a shorter range of consumption values
> than the entire data set, wouldn't it distort results?
> Would anyone be able to advise of any alternative?

the system manager.