st: Probit estimation sing stata

From   "Moumie Maoulidi" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Probit estimation sing stata
Date   Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:11:56 -0500

I am conducting a study on the rates of return to female students at 2 year
and 4 year colleges using the NELS-88 dataset, a nationally representative
sample of eighth-graders were first surveyed in the spring of 1988 and then
resurveyed through four follow-ups in 1990, 1992, 1994, and 2000.  The
follow-up studies were designed to observe how the eighth grade experience
affected later educational and occupational attainment.

I will estimate the rates of return using OLS and will control for ability,
family background, student characteristics such as race/ethnicity and for
occupation.

Hoever, before estimating the model I must address the possibility of
sample selection bias.  I therefore intend to use a 2 step estimation
method similar to Heckman (1979) and Kane and Rouse (1994) where the first
step is the participation equation (in the case of Heckman) or
self-selection into a 2 or 4 year college (in the case of Kane and Rouse).
The probit results are then used as an additional regressor in OLS.

The problem is I do not know how to do a probit analysis using STATA.  I
have only used STAT for OLS.

Kindly help

please respond using my other two addresses
[email protected],  [email protected]