st: RE: RE: Re: Analysis of binary cluster data with missingvalues

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Re: Analysis of binary cluster data with missingvalues
Date   Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:30:31 -0000

There may be good design reasons for
this data structure, but to me the information
here makes the dataset seem
even more refractory. I assumed incorrectly
that a missing value in one observation still
meant that one limb could be used in
analysis.

Note also that even though you know that
hip and knee are not paired, that is how
your data structure appears to Stata.
In other words, let's take another person,
with one hip and one knee replaced. That
could be represented, if I understand
correctly, as

5   1  0
5   0  1

or as

5   1   1
5   0   0

so that those different representations of
the data would end up summarised in different
cells of a 2 X 2 table, leading to quite
different odds ratios. As far as Stata is
concerned, these are different data.

Finally, doesn't the whole idea of a cluster
depend on being able to think of individuals
with their own identity, as say with
individual people within a family? What's
the identity of one arbitrary hip and one
arbitrary knee? Not that I have any insights
here beyond using a pair of legs.

Louise Linsell