Re: st: k-sample tests for differences in proportions

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: k-sample tests for differences in proportions
Date   Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:37:25 +0900

Karen Robson wrote:

Thanks for your replies.

What I am trying to calculate is if the mean of a dummy
variable is different across the categories of a separate
categorical variable. So if the mean of a dummy variable
(e.g. let's say 1=has university degree, 0=does not have
university degree) is significantly different across a
nominal variable like religious affiliation which has five
possible values. If I had just two categories in the
religious affiliation variable, I could just prtest
university, by(religion). Since I have multiple categories,
however, this becomes impossible.

If my DV was continuous, I could do an anova and with
post-hoc estimations figure out where the significant
differences between categories were. However, because my DV
is not continuous, I have been told an anova here is not
appropriate, hence my confusion. Perhaps I am just being
pedantic?

I would really appreciate your opinion now that I have
fully explained myself!

How about -glm-?  See the do-file below for how.  The example is artificial,
but it shows how to use -glm- followed by -test- to do exactly what you want.
If you want to adjust for multiple comparisons, Stata can do that, too.  -help
test-  Also, just as an aside, consider performing logistic regression
(examining odds ratios, using link(logit)) in lieu of testing differences in
proportions.

Joseph Coveney

clear
set obs 300
set seed 20031105
generate byte degreed = uniform() > 0.25
* degreed = 1 for has college degree and 0 for doesn't
generate byte religion = mod(_n, 5) + 1
* religion = 1 for first religion, 2 for second, and so on
*
* Here we go:
*

xi: glm degree i.religion, family(binomial) link(identity) nolog
test _Ireligion_2 = _Ireligion_3
test _Ireligion_2 = _Ireligion_4
* . . . and so on
exit