Re: st: Object oriented help files (and Tabling: an agenda)

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Object oriented help files (and Tabling: an agenda)
Date   Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:49:35 +0100

> I think this is one area where Stata could borrow a page or two from
> (horrors!) SPSS's book.  Spss makes its whole manual available as a
> pdf file, and also has quicker ways of just viewing the syntax for a
> command.  Spss, of course, needs good documentation because the
> program is so internally inconsistent in its syntax and features, but
> when you need help it does a good job of providing it.

There was an extended discussion on the list back in July, the first
message of which was by Bill Dupont.

The original posting can be viewed....

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2003-07/msg00308.html

If you don't want to read the whole thread then Bill Gould sets out
Stata Corps stance at the time...

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2003-07/msg00387.html

Neil

Neil Shephard
Genetics Statistician
ARC Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester

"Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it
were so it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's
logic" - Tweedledee (Alice Through the Looking Glass)