Re: st: Short program to "collapse (# unique elements)": Use of nestedloops and a "weights not allowed" message

From   Philip Ryan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Short program to "collapse (# unique elements)": Use of nestedloops and a "weights not allowed" message
Date   Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:52:06 +0930

This is a bit simpler and I think does what you want:

bysort citing nclass: gen byte unique = _n == _N
bys citing: replace unique = sum(unique)
by citing: keep if _n == _N

You should test this and maybe tweak it to deal with missing values, if they exist in your data.

One point in your code: any command of this form "replace[_n]" will generate an error code because Stata thinks your square brackets are introducing weights and the syntax for -replace- does not permit these. Also, you cannot use explicit indexing on a variable on the LHS of a value assignment ("=") command.

Phil