Re: st: Re: Re: RE: matching in Stata

From   "Mark Schaffer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Re: RE: matching in Stata
Date   Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:03:11 +0100

Michael,

From:           	"Michael Blasnik" <[email protected]>
To:             	<[email protected]>
Subject:        	st: Re: Re: RE: matching in Stata
Date sent:      	Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:54:04 -0400
Send reply to:  	[email protected]

> I have written an ado (nearmrg.ado) that I think directly addresses this
> problem.  It allows specifying a list of variables that must match exactly
> between the datasets (gender and region in your dataset?) and requires you
> to specify one variable that is matched to the "closest" value in the using
> file.  The closest value may be defined in a few ways, including some ways
> that allows the use of string variables.  I can email the files to you
> directly if you are interested.  I may post it to SSC if there is general
> interest.

I'd like to put in a vote for an SSC posting - I've had occasion in
the past to do this kind of merge, and I know colleagues who have
faced similar problems and who would find this program helpful.  We'd
all be deeply indebted if you did....

--Mark

> Michael Blasnik
> [email protected]

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Director
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK
44-131-451-3494 direct
44-131-451-3008 fax
44-131-451-3485 CERT administrator
http://www.som.hw.ac.uk/cert