Re: st: Re: requesting help for a newbie

From   "Deborah L. Rhodes" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: requesting help for a newbie
Date   Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:38:02 -0700

Thank you. I don't have hard manuals to follow and no previous statistical package knowledge. Please be patient. As stated, I am a newbie.

My first question: Does categorizing numerical data into quartiles require two steps or one? The original data(totdolars)is in dollar amounts.

I have tried to go directly to the quartiles: (using both g and as noted below)
xtile totdolarsqtl=totdolars, nquantiles(25);

I have the same problem if I try pctile to create percentiles to bring to quartiles. It seems the syntax should be similar.
pctile totdolarspc=totdolars, nquantiles(1);

I have substituted totdolars (my variable with original dollar amount data) for exp, which according to the help file for "creating variables using percentiles" is "typically just another variable."

Thank you in advance. DEB
[email protected]