st: requesting help for a newbie

From   "Deborah L. Rhodes" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: requesting help for a newbie
Date   Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:32:16 -0700

I have searched the helpfiles with no success.

I keep coming up with "varlist not allowed". Could someone please advise me how to fix the error, but more importantly how to get to the meanings of various "error codes" in the help files. My searches on errors, error codes, varlist, and "varlist not allowed" proved fruitless. I've also checked FAQ and other resources. I'm trying to place my data values into quartiles. Seems to be a two step process, first set up pctiles then xtiles, but I can't get past the "varlist not allowed". Thanks in advance. DEB

Deborah L. Rhodes
student, University of Southern California
(Stata 8, if it matters)

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/