st: Survival analysis - comparing a subset of the sample to the entiresample

From   Richard Aplenc <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Survival analysis - comparing a subset of the sample to the entiresample
Date   Thu, 04 Sep 2003 06:53:41 -0400

Hi,

I have a dataset with 1200 patients and time to event (relapse and
death). Of these patients, 500 have data on a particular genotype, of which the variant allele is associated with an increased relapse risk.

I would like to compare the relapse free survival estimate (RFS) of the
overall study group to the RFS estimate of the patients with genotypes. That is, I want to show that the patients with genotype information (both wildtype and variant genotypes combined) do not overall have a significantly different risk of relapse than all patients on the trial.

Thus, I have 2 questions:

1. How do I do this in STATA?

2. Are there issues of lack of independance in the data that make this comparison problematic from a statistical standpoint?

Thank you very much in advance.

Richard
--
Richard Aplenc, MD, MSCE