st: RE: _merge

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: _merge
Date   Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:19:41 +0100

Dr. Frederick Wolfe

> A little more on this. xi: variables are automatically
> dropped. If you want to keep them, then they need other
> names. r() are discarded.

I'm glad Fred and I seem to be converging rapidly here.

On the principle that the exception proves the
rule -- meaning strictly that the exception _tests_
the rule, as in the original Latin -- how far is the
practice of -xi- consistent here?

First, the documentation of -xi- clearly warns that
its products get over-written.

Second, -xi- variables contain information deducible
from other variables. So long as those variables remain,
they can be re-created willy-nilly.

Hence this situation is pretty close to the opposite
extreme, I think, and no precedent for -merge-.

r-class results, again, are advertised as temporary
results for the user's convenience, which can be
re-created at will, so long as the data remain the
same.