RE:RE:st: Using forval when one variable is not incremented

From   "Deborah Garvey" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE:RE:st: Using forval when one variable is not incremented
Date   Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:29:53 -0700

Thank you, Philippe and Nick, for your help.  I had a feeling the solution involved a local macro, which I do not handle expertly.

Will give it a go,

Deb

From: [email protected]
Subject: RE:st: Using forval when one variable is not incremented
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 09:36:19 +0200

Deborah,

Here is a suggestion. See Nick Cox's columns in the Stata Journal for more
on this and similar issues.

The trick is to initialise a local macro containing the list of cpi's, and
access each of them iteratively in the loop using a "word # of" macro
extended function.

  ** initialise the list of cpis separated by blanks;

  loc cpis "0.aaaa 0.bbbbb ... 0.887788779 ...";
  loc j 1;

  >forval i=76/86  {;
  >

  >insheet fipsst pubst state tsgex`i' sexcap`i' sgexed`i' sgexpw`i'
capy`i' pery`i' using stateexpY`i'.txt;

  >**Real spending;
  >
  >** gen tsrgex`i'  = tsgex`i'/cpi`i';

  loc cpi : word `j++' of `cpis';
  gen tsrgex`i'  = tsgex`i'/`cpi';

  >...more in a similar vein
  >
  >label var tsgex`i'   "Tot state genl exp in $mils";
  >label var tsrgex`i'  "Tot real state genl exp in $mils";
  >..more in a similar vein
  >
  >su if pubst != .;
  >save stateexpY`i', replace;
  >clear;