st: AW: RE: how to control jitering in scatter plots

From   "Jann, Ben" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: AW: RE: how to control jitering in scatter plots
Date   Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:07:09 +0200

Thanks for your reply, Nick.

Maybe I didn't express myself clear enough. What I expected was that

 . set seed 3562
 . scatter y x, jitter(2)
 . set seed 3562
 . scatter y x, jitter(2)

would produce two identical graphs, just as

 . set seed 3562
 . gen v1=uniform()
 . set seed 3562
 . gen v2=uniform()

produces two identical variables. This, however, is not the case. Ergo, the jitering does not seem to depend on the seed (unless I miss something here).

Of course, Nick's solution (creating random perturbations outside -scatter-) would work. I just thought it would be nice to have full control over the jitering-option without having to use a backdoor. And, by the way, I am really curious how the jitering is determined if not by the seed. (because I feel commited to the scientific reproducability policy ... although this might be splitting hairs in this case)

ben