st: Stata interface

From   "R. Allan Reese" <[email protected]>
To   Stata distribution list <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Stata interface
Date   Fri, 30 May 2003 10:23:55 +0100 (BST)

WAS Re: st: Histograms (was:  Multiple (overlaid) Histogram)

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Richard Goldstein wrote:
> For any graphic command that has an option such
> as bin (histogram), bwidth (lowess), width (kdensity),
> I would very much like to see dynamic graphics -- i.e.,
> a slider such that I can change

I'm undecided at present, but see dangers in this suggestion, the main one
being that Stata could (like other software) grow into a ragbag of
uncoordinated features with no philosophy. I hold to the advantages of a
command-based system for serious data analysis (as compared to "the
computer printed this number so it must be right").  Dynamic graphics are
like a random walk: you may find a pretty view, but does that make it
meaningful? If there is some objective measure to optimize, should that
not be built into the program?  If not, it is a design decision.

The case for a slider for bin width seems weak, in that it is a continuous
scale that would have to be monitored and converted into a decision to
change the display from k to k-1 or k+1 bins. As Nick has pointed out, the
sequence of plots can be generated with a loop, and could be assembled on
a single screen for "pick the prettiest".  The shape might also be
sensitive to the centering of the bins - would you use two sliders in
concert?

DataDesk has an alternative philosophy, based on linking observations
between related dynamic graphics.  A news report yesterday suggested that
playing computer games is beneficial - they help develop hand-eye
coordination, concentration and attention to detail.  I think a similar
argument could be advanced for any occupation taken seriously:
bird-watching or stamp collecting.  Certainly DataDesk can be used well
and can give insights during data analysis, but equally, I suspect, it can
be used as a surrogate for thinking.  Fiddling with screen objects is the
modern equivalent of rearranging the pens on your desk when stuck for
inspiration.

Allan
R. Allan Reese                       Email: [email protected]
Associate Manager GRI                Direct voice:   +44 1482 466845
Graduate School                      Voice messages: +44 1482 466844
Hull University, Hull HU6 7RX, UK.   Fax:            +44 1482 466436
The management here were SO impressed with W Edward Deming's "Out of
the crisis" that they are working flat out to create THE BEST crisis;
then they can start implementing the 13 obligations.