Re: st: Histograms (was: Multiple (overlaid) Histogram)

From   Ronan Conroy <[email protected]>
To   "statalist hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Histograms (was: Multiple (overlaid) Histogram)
Date   Fri, 30 May 2003 10:27:13 +0100

on 30/05/2003 3:20 am, David Airey at [email protected] wrote:

> You can get sliders for histograms (and any other graph) in Data Desk
> 6.2 (6.2 for OS X just came out as a simple carbon port of 6.1 for
> $65). I don't think Stata graphics will be fast enough for this kind of
> EDA graphics. It's a superb publication quality system (several
> colleagues have asked where my graphics came from) that can be very
> effectively used to investigate the data as well, but it's no live EDA
> system. You need Data Desk or JMP for this. My guess is a second
> graphics engine will be needed for this kind of thing in Stata 9.

In fact, there's nothing like having a histogram where you can widen or
narrow the bins, and move them up or down the scale, all with a drag of the
mouse, to show you how horribly histograms writhe and twist depending on
these values. It's probably not possible to quantify what proportion of the
variability in the shape of a histogram is driven by bin width and
positioning, but it's far higher than most people think.

One feature of JMP I like a lot is the ability to use a slider to vary the
kernel width of a density estimator, which tells you stuff about the fine
and the gross detail of your data that histograms simply don�t.

There's a lot to be said for David's approach. A fast vector graphics engine
that allows real-time interactivity would give a platform for EDA graphics.
And these things don't eat RAM or rely on fast processors either. Both Data
Desk and JMP have been doing this kind of thing for a decade or more.

Ronan M Conroy ([email protected])
Lecturer in Biostatistics
Royal College of Surgeons
Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 1 402 2431 (fax 2764)

they are addressed.
originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of The Royal College Of Surgeons in Ireland.