st: RE: RE: broken axis symbol?

From   Lee Sieswerda <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: broken axis symbol?
Date   Wed, 14 May 2003 18:04:39 -0400

One sees axis breaks in epidemiology, though not all that often.  For
example, one might be interested in graphing the weekly incidence of
influenza over several seasons. One may want to show that Influenza B
strains were more common during the inter-epidemic periods, while Influenza
A strains were more common during the epidemic periods. If there were no
axis break, then the axis required to show the high incidence rate during
the epidemic periods would make it difficult to see the difference between
the A and B strains during the low-incidence inter-epidemic periods. There
are other graphical solutions, to be sure, but the axis break is a good
solution for this sort of thing. For clarity, it is essential to break the
bar as well as the axis.

Lee

Lee Sieswerda, Epidemiologist
Thunder Bay District Health Unit