st: RE: Bootstrap and percentages

From   Lee Sieswerda <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Bootstrap and percentages
Date   Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:39:43 -0400

I don't think that you can use the -bs- command in your situation for many
reasons. Most importantly, -bs- would not be taking into account the design
features of the survey. This question of whether the svy commands can be
bootstrapped has come up on statalist several times and I don't think its
ever been finally resolved. I would love it if someone would correct me if
I'm wrong on this.

There is a general solution, however, for you to get bootstrapped estimates
from survey data without actually having the pweight/PSU/strata information
made public. You have to get the data administrator to create bootstrap
weights and a set of analysis syntax files. This is exactly what Statistics
Canada is doing with large surveys now. In the past, they had coefficient of
variation look-up tables, which were tedious and rather approximate. Now,
they provide these bootstrap weights. Unfortunately, the syntax files are
huge and complicated and probably require some serious insight into the
original data file (which is why the data administator has to create the
files; I doubt that you could roll your own). The only down-side is that
Stats Can is only providing the syntax files for SPSS and SAS.

Anyway, the process of creating these bootstrap weights and syntax files is
well-documented. You could contact Yves Beland at Stats Canada if you want
to know more about the method.

Best,

Lee

Lee Sieswerda, Epidemiologist