st: Re: Simple recoding

From   "Ada Ma" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Simple recoding
Date   Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:09:09 +0100

a simple (and stupid) way to do is:

gen gender=1 if sex=="M"
mvencode gender, mv(2)

or you can use the smarter flashier command _recode_

but i am not sure how to use that.  i think you can:

recode sex "M"="1"
recode sex "F"="2"
destring sex, replace

one thing to note is that your variables must carry numerical values only
when you destring them.

Ada Ma
[email protected]
University of Newcastle upon Tyne Business School
Economics Group