Re: st: loop over local list

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: loop over local list
Date   Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:15:20 +0100

"Radu Ban" <[email protected]>

What is wrong with this piece of code (which gives an 'invalid syntax'
error)

local married "0 5"
local single "5 6"
foreach mstat in `mar' `sng'

    tokenize `mstat'
keep if marstat > `1' & marstat <= `2'

the last line is the one that produces the error.

What I'm trying to do is make a loop, in which the first run keeps
values of
marstat 1 through 5, and the second run keeps value 6. Is there an
alternative solution? Note that marstat has values 0 to 6 where 0
stands for
'not available', 1-5 are for people who were at some point married and
6 for
people who were never married. I could recode it, but I'll lose
information
that I might need in the future.

>>> What you actually typed is not at all clear to me.

You define locals called -married- and -single-
and then loop over (other?) locals called -mar-
and -sng-?

Where are the braces { }?

It seems you want to do something for
two subsets of the data. It is not clear
why you need to drop the complementary
subset.

How about

... if inrange(marstat,1,5)