st: RE: [problem getting -ivprob-, -ivtobit- to work ]

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: [problem getting -ivprob-, -ivtobit- to work ]
Date   Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:31:56 +0100

Kee-Lee Lee

> I am trying to use 'IVPROB/IVTOBIT" procedures for my
> research. I have downloaded and copied the relevant
> files (ado and help files) into my ado sub-directory.
> Even though I managed to open IVPROB help file in my
> stata program (intercooled stata 6.0), it seems to me
> that the IVPROB procedure does not work in my stata
> (the error message that I got was: "unrecognized
> command: ivprob not defined by ivprob.ado").
>
> 1) Could anyone guess what happened?
> 2) I suspect that there is something wrong with my ado
> files. So, if possible, could anyone, who has been
> using the procedures, please send me the workable
> ado/help files (ivprob.ado, ivprob.hlp, divprob.ado,
> divprob,hlp, ivtobit.ado, ivtobit.hlp)?

Kit Baum answered a virtually identical question
on Statalist on 26 July. Here is the burden of his
response, edited slightly:

It sounds as if you used a web browser to download the files.
If so, you have probably introduced some line
wrapping. As a general rule you should _always_ let Stata do this for
you to
avoid trouble.

Just use Stata's -ssc- command to download and install the commands,
and it
will take care of any line end conversions, etc. It will work with a
proxy
server if you have firewall issues. On one of my Unix machines, which
did
not have this command installed:

. ssc install ivprob-ivtobit
checking ivprob-ivtobit consistency and verifying not already
installed...
installing into /blade/baum/ado/stbplus/...
installation complete.

For more on -ssc-, please see the first URL under my signature.