Re: st: GMM minimization of regional errors imputed from hhd level model

From   Vladimír Hlásny <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: GMM minimization of regional errors imputed from hhd level model
Date   Sun, 30 Jun 2013 11:10:39 +0900

Dear Austin:
The model is definitely identified. Matlab runs the model well,
because I can use household-level and region-level variables
simultaneously. My trick in Stata also works, except that it produces
imprecise results and occasionally fails to converge. (My current
trick is to make Stata think that the model is at the household level,
and manually setting all-but-one-per-region hhd-level residuals to
zero.)

Incomes of the responding households are my instrument.
Essentially, because each region has a different survey-response-rate
and different distribution of incomes of responding households, GMM
estimates the relationship between households' response-probability
and their income (subject to assumptions on representativeness of
responding households).

In sum:
I need Stata to use region-level and household-level variables (or
matrices) simultaneously. Specifically, Stata must minimize
region-level residuals computed from a household-level logistic
equation. E.g., if I feed household-level data into the GMM
function-evaluator program, can I instruct the GMM to use only one
residual per region?

Vladimir