Re: st: RE: Testing for instrument relevance and overidentification when the endogeneous variable is used in interaction terms

From   Jason Wichert <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Testing for instrument relevance and overidentification when the endogeneous variable is used in interaction terms
Date   Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:35:21 +0200

Mark,

Alright, that’s a relief. However, as promised (threatened?), I’ve
come up with some additional questions.

Isn’t the approach discussed most recently, i.e.

[1] ivreg2 y controls ex1 ex2 (en en_ex1 en_ex2 = enhat enhat_ex1 enhat_ex2)
 (notation: ex1, ex2 = exogenous variables; en = endogenous variable;
z1, z2 = instruments for en)

in effect the same as rolling additional FSR’s (for the lack of
appropriate word) of the type

[2] regress en_ex1 controls ex1 ex2 enhat enhat_ex1

and

[3] regress en_ex2 controls ex1 ex2 enhat enhat_ex2

just with the additional/unnecessary respective instruments enhat_ex2
and enhat_ex1 in [2] and [3]?

While tedious and error-prone, following approach [1] doesn’t seem to
“cure” the 2SLS test results, since I’m again instrumenting several
interaction terms by instruments weakly or un-correlated to the
instrumented terms (such as enhat_ex2 to ex1_en).

I read up on the “control function approach” suggested largely by
Wooldridge as an alternative, which he mentions in his 2002 version of
"Econometric analysis of cross section and panel data", a comment he
made in http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-03/msg00187.html ,
as well as lecture slides I found online (
http://www.eief.it/files/2011/10/slides_3_controlfuncs.pdf ). In the
latter, regarding to forbidden regressions and the control function
approach, he states “Danger with plugging in fitted values for y2 [the
endog. variable] is that one might be tempted to plug y2_hat into
nonlinear functions, say (y2)^2 or y2_z1. This does not result in
consistent estimation of the scaled parameters or the partial effects.
If we believe y2 has a linear RF with additive normal error
independent of z, the addition of v2_hat solves the endogeneity
problem *regardless* of how y2 appears.”

I’m considering to run such sole control function, predict the
residual, and incorporate in my OLS or what otherwise might be the
second stage of my 2SLS, with all the interaction terms (for the sake
of brevity, leaving quadratic terms of ex1 and ex2 aside), i.e.

regress en ex1 ex2 z1 z2 en1_z1 en1_z2 en2_z1 en2_z2

predict en_resid, resid

regress y ex1 ex2 en ex1_en ex2_en en_resid

This almost sounds too simple to be true to my naïve understanding of
the matter. So again, any feedback is highly appreciated.

Jason