RE: st: RE: Testing for instrument relevance and overidentification when the endogeneous variable is used in interaction terms

Subject   RE: st: RE: Testing for instrument relevance and overidentification when the endogeneous variable is used in interaction terms
Date   Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:14:07 +0000

Jason,

I'm not sure (to be honest I've lost track of what is what).  You have equivalence with straight IV only if enhat_ex2 and enhat_ex1 are "unnecessary" because of perfect collinearity.  If you don't have perfect collinearity, and your IVs enhat, enhat_ex1 and enhat_ex2 are linear combinations of a longer list of things you think are exogenous, then you may have taken a step towards solving your problem because you have a smaller number of IVs (created by collapsing your full set of IVs into a smaller number of linear combinations).

As for the control function approach, that looks promising.  But maybe others on the list who use it have something to contribute here....

--Mark

> While tedious and error-prone, following approach [1] doesn’t seem to “cure”
> the 2SLS test results, since I’m again instrumenting several
> interaction terms by instruments weakly or un-correlated to the
> instrumented terms (such as
> enhat_ex2 to ex1_en).
>
> I read up on the “control function approach” suggested largely by
> Wooldridge as an alternative, which he mentions in his 2002 version of
> "Econometric analysis of cross section and panel data", a comment he
> made in http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-03/msg00187.html ,
> as well as lecture slides I found online (
> http://www.eief.it/files/2011/10/slides_3_controlfuncs.pdf ). In the
> latter, regarding to forbidden regressions and the control function
> approach, he states “Danger with plugging in fitted values for y2 [the
> endog. variable] is that one might be tempted to plug y2_hat into nonlinear functions, say (y2)^2 or y2_z1.
> This does not result in consistent estimation of the scaled parameters
> or the partial effects.
> If we believe y2 has a linear RF with additive normal error
> independent of z, the addition of v2_hat solves the endogeneity
> problem *regardless* of how y2 appears.”
>
> I’m considering to run such sole control function, predict the
> residual, and incorporate in my OLS or what otherwise might be the
> second stage of my 2SLS, with all the interaction terms (for the sake
> of brevity, leaving quadratic terms of ex1 and ex2 aside), i.e.
>
> regress en ex1 ex2 z1 z2 en1_z1 en1_z2 en2_z1 en2_z2
>
> predict en_resid, resid
>
> regress y ex1 ex2 en ex1_en ex2_en en_resid
>
> This almost sounds too simple to be true to my naïve understanding of
> the matter. So again, any feedback is highly appreciated.
>
> Jason
>

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Schaffer, Mark E
> <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Jason,
> >
> > I was just generalizing - in your case there's only one preliminary
> > regression,
> namely the one to get en_hat.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark

<snip - getting too long for the list server>

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.