st: RE: margins command after "control function" IV negative binomial

From   "Wooldridge, Jeffrey" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: margins command after "control function" IV negative binomial
Date   Thu, 3 Mar 2011 06:51:01 -0500

Some quick comments about the CF control. You should only be obtaining
one control function, from the regression

reg Y1    X1   IV1  IV2  IV1_X1  IV2_X1, vce(cluster ID)
predict  y1_resid, resid

If you believe the reduced form for Y1 is linear with an additive,
independent error, then adding this to the model controls for
endogeneity of any function of Y1 on the RHS of the Y2 equation. Of
course, you might want to put the CF in the second model in a flexible
way. One of the benefits of the CF approach is that it is a parsimonious
way to allow for many nonlinear functions of Y1. I hope I do a better
job of explaining this in 2e of my MIT Press book. See also my NBER and
UCL/IFS lectures with Imbens.

Some theorists will complain about your approach because if the
underlying "structural" model for Y2 is NB then the estimable model with
the CF (residual) added cannot be NB -- unless you make a restrictive
distributional assumption. This does not bother me so much.

You will have to compute the average marginal effects "by hand." This is
not hard with an exponential function. But take the derivative with
respect to Y1 to get

(b1 + b2*X1)exp(.)

And then average across all of your data. Use the bootstrap for a proper
standard error.

JW