Re: st: creating panel of household surveyed in different year

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: creating panel of household surveyed in different year
Date   Tue, 21 May 2013 13:00:23 +0100

My own guess is that Prakash's previous post was ignored because it
was too vague about precise data structure and the revised post
doesn't add much.  At least that is why I deleted it. A specific
example showing what you have is usually preferable to a long verbal
discussion.

The solution below seems unnecessarily complicated. Splitting the
dataset into three and then -merge-ing them back again is only
possible if there is some identifier in the dataset that tells you
which survey round is being referred to. Why not just do it in place?

At its simplest the number of rounds in which each household
participated may just be the number of times the household appears in
the dataset. Otherwise there should be some round identifier. There
seems little point in speculating about variables, as Prakash can
(please) give concrete details.

Same applies to entry and exit: show us how the data are held, and
specific suggestions are then much easier.