Re: st: Query..

From   Richard Goldstein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Query..
Date   Tue, 16 Apr 2013 21:00:58 -0400

Tony, et al.

the quote is "To make the preliminary test on variances is rather like
putting to sea in a rowing boat to findout whether conditions are
sufficiently calm for an ocean liner to leave port!"

this is on p. 333 of Box, GEP (1953), "Non-normality and tests on
Variances," _Biometrika_, 40 (3/4): 318-335

Rich

On 4/16/13 7:01 PM, Lachenbruch, Peter wrote:
> The context i was referring to was an old article by George Box in Biometrika
aboutg 1953 in which he commented that testing for heteroskedasticy was
like setting
to see in a rowboat to see if it was safe for the Queen Mary to sail.
Sorry i don't
have the quote, and my books are all bundled up due to a flood in my
basement