RE: st: Query..

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Query..
Date   Tue, 16 Apr 2013 23:01:50 +0000

The context i was referring to was an old article by George Box in Biometrika aboutg 1953 in which he commented that testing for heteroskedasticy was like setting to see in a rowboat to see if it was safe for the Queen Mary to sail.  Sorry i don't have the quote, and my books are all bundled up due to a flood in my basement

Peter A. Lachenbruch,
Professor (retired)
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] on behalf of John Antonakis [[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 1:47 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Query..

Hello Peter:

Can you please elaborate? The chi-square test of fit--or the likelihood
ratio test comparing the saturated to the target model--is pretty
robust, though as I indicated, it does not behave as expected at small
samples, when data are not multivariate normal, when the model is
complex (and the n to parameters estimated ration is low). However, as I
mentioned there are remedies to the problem. More specifically see:

Bollen, K. A., & Stine, R. A. (1992). Bootstrapping goodness-of-fit
measures in structural equation models. Sociological Methods & Research,
21(2), 205-229.

Herzog, W., & Boomsma, W. (2009). Small-sample robust estimators of
noncentrality-based and incremental model fit. Structural Equation
Modeling, 16(1), 1–27.

Swain, A. J. (1975). Analysis of parametric structures for variance
matrices (doctoral thesis). University of Adelaide, Adelaide.

Yuan, K. H., & Bentler, P. M. (2000). Three likelihood-based methods for
mean and covariance structure analysis with nonnormal missing data. In
M. E. Sobel & M. P. Becker (Eds.), Sociological Methodology (pp.
165-200). Washington, D.C: ASA.

In addition to elaborating, better yet, if you have a moment give us
some syntax for a dataset that you can create where there are
simultaneous equations with observed variables, an omitted cause, and
instruments. Let's see how the Hansen-J test (estimated with reg3, with
2sls and 3sls) and the normal theory chi-square statistic (estimated
with sem) behave (with and with robust corrections).

Best,
J.

John Antonakis
Professor of Organizational Behavior