y versus x, or x versus y? [was: Re: st: quantile-quantile plots]

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
Subject   y versus x, or x versus y? [was: Re: st: quantile-quantile plots]
Date   Tue, 16 Apr 2013 09:54:53 +0100

Very interesting example; thanks for thinking about my question.

I studied economics when young. I can't recollect if I was puzzled
then that demand curves (your example) and supply curves were plotted
with price on the vertical axis. But it also seems fair to regard
price as the outcome or response that is being explained here, namely
that price arises out of the interaction of supply and demand, just as
much as the other way around. So on that argument this kind of diagram
is not an exception.

No doubt all the real economists and econometricians will correct me
if I am wrong.

I must look in the book reviewed in http://ejpe.org/pdf/4-2-br-6.pdf

That review in turn yields a reference to broaden the horizons of all
inequality-measuring economists and social scientists:

Derobert, Laurent, and Thieriot, Guillaume. 2003. The Lorenz curve as
an archetype: a
historico-epistemological study. The European Journal of the History of Economic
Thought, 10 (4): 573-585.

But in terms of my original question, the language usages

plot y versus x

plot x versus y

-- and whatever logic lies behind them -- it strikes me now hat a
simpler explanation is just the algebraic convention of naming x
coordinate first, as in "its coordinates are (x, y)", so there is
merely a clash of conventions here.

Nick
njcoxstata@gmail.com