Re: st: How to put max and min values in a loop

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: How to put max and min values in a loop
Date   Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:23:26 +0000

This is likely to be wrong for several reasons.

-min()- and -max()- in this context can only be Stata functions and
each requires two or more arguments. This is not quite explicit in the
help.

Also, even when legal, statements including -min()- or -max()- will
only evaluate within observations.

You assume that we know what you want to do, which is not true.
However, we can guess that you want minimum and maximum of some
variable, in which case -summarize- first will give you r(min) and
r(max), which you can use within -inrange()-. -summarize, meanonly- is
sufficient if min and max are all you need.

But, but, but: it is vacuous that any variable lies between its
minimum and maximum, so there is no point to doing this unless the
calculation of -summarize- refers to something different, e.g. a
different subset or a different variable.

Nick