Re: st: One help file for two program

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: One help file for two program
Date   Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:27:35 -0400

John Antonakis <>:
I believe the redirection of -help ttesti- to -help ttest- is done by
-view- which is internal, accessing a file of associations made by
(maybe) Ken Higbee at Statacorp (someone more knowledgeable can
clarify).  Assuming you cannot make -help- point to a different file,
you can create two identical copies of the same help file, called
john.sthlp and johni.sthlp say, each with help for both commands. Or
better: you can INCLUDE john as the whole substance of johni.sthlp
help smcl##repeated_material

I was suggesting a different approach altogether: one command that can
handle both immediate calculations and calculations on data.  You
could have two other commands called by -john- e.g. -johnd- and
-johni- but have all the help in john.sthlp and have john do all the
parsing required to determine whether to call  -johnd- or -johni- as