R: st: Interpretation of Two-sample t test with equal variances?

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   R: st: Interpretation of Two-sample t test with equal variances?
Date   Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:06:55 +0100

I agree with Nick.
For instance, other things being equal, the way nulliparous deliver may be influenced by the reimbursement the hospital gets by the health care system for a given delivery procedure.
Other issue such as adherence on clinical guide-lines (and to what extent) or physicians' fear of being charged of malpractice may also play a role, as far as I am concerned.
Some other independent variables, that I recall from my strolling around literature and interviewing, might deserve consideration: patients' smoking status; Body Mass Index; diabetes; hypertension; eclampsia; gestosis; risky pregnancy; patients' diseases that may urge gynecologist to prefer C/section; evidence low birth weight; abnormalities in fetal heart rate.
As a general remark, I am still under the impression that readers will find a single predictor logistic regression model quite weak in this instance.

Hope this may contribute to ease the way.

Kind regards,
Carlo
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di Nick Cox
Inviato: mercoledì 20 marzo 2013 19:29
A: [email protected]
Oggetto: Re: st: Interpretation of Two-sample t test with equal variances?

What drives the decision on delivery mode any way? How far is it clinician's choice, patient's choice? Do you have data on the patient or clinician variables that influence or determine tha decision? If you don't have all the predictors -- and it would be surprising if you did -- there will be lots of unexplained variability.

Nick