Re: st: Zero-inflated negative binomial panel model

From   "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <>
Subject   Re: st: Zero-inflated negative binomial panel model
Date   Sat, 2 Mar 2013 00:05:36 -0500

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Maarten Buis <> wrote:
> A zero inflated negative binomial tries to extract quite a lot of
> information from quite subtle features in the data and the same is
> true for panel models. I would not be surprised that combining the two
> would lead to a model that would just be too fragile to be of
> practical use.

Yeah, that was my thought. I suspect you could get it to work if you
had good a priori information predicting zero inflation, but without
that it would be very difficult given how much zero inflation and
negative binomial mixing are likely to trade off.

JVVerkuilen, PhD

"It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Do not concentrate on
the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." --Bruce Lee,
Enter the Dragon (1973)