Re: st: types and codes of the non-linear models

From   "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: types and codes of the non-linear models
Date   Thu, 21 Feb 2013 10:56:33 -0500

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> Who's "we" here? (Simple question: no offence inferred or implied.)

The collective we. ;)

> I agree completely with Jay that models that don't converge, or don't
> converge satisfactorily, are a frequent source of puzzlement on this
> list, especially but not only to beginning users.

Yes, it's a constant source of vexation to many.

> I really don't want to add to the Statalist FAQ any material under
> such a heading. The focus of the Statalist FAQ is how to use
> Statalist, and what you (may) need to know to understand Statalist.
> Things that puzzle people about statistics or Stata do not belong.

Fair enough. Too much and a lack of focus on a FAQ is bad, but one
that has a list of "top 10 questions" might be worthwhile.

> Jay is probably not suggesting that. In terms of StataCorp's "own"
> FAQs by far the quickest way to get an FAQ posted is to write it
> yourself! A quick search (or indeed -search-) shows that many FAQs are
> user-written.

Interesting, didn't know that.