Re: st: Directory Management on a Mac

From   Kerry Kammire <>
Subject   Re: st: Directory Management on a Mac
Date   Fri, 07 Dec 2012 07:53:36 -0600

Steve Samuels <> wrote:

> The one item still making me hesitate is the directory issue. When I
> double-click a do-file on a PC, it runs that file using the present
> directory as the default, which is usually what I want. But on a Mac, I
> still have to set the directory name from within a do-file, which means a
> program written on one Mac won't necessarily work on another Mac if
> they have different directory trees.

If you double-click on a .do (*), .dta, or .gph file from the Finder on a Mac,
Stata changes the current working directory to the directory that the file is
located in.  For example, if your current working directory is your home
directory and you double-click on a .dta file in your Documents directory,
Stata will change the current working directory to the Documents directory.

Are you saying you don't want that to happen?

* Stata can open a .do file that is double-clicked in the Finder in the
Do-file Editor if you set the preference to do so.

-- Kerry Kammire, StataCorp