st: Directory Management on a Mac

From   David Epstein <>
Subject   st: Directory Management on a Mac
Date   Thu, 6 Dec 2012 13:11:37 -0500

Dear Statalisters,

I do love the many improvements made to the interface in Stata 12 for
Macintosh, making me *almost* ready to jump over to Macs for all my
analytical needs.

The one item still making me hesitate is the directory issue. When I
double-click a do-file on a PC, it runs that file using the present
directory as the default, which is usually what I want. But on a Mac, I
still have to set the directory name from within a do-file, which means a
program written on one Mac won't necessarily work on another Mac if
they have different directory trees.

Is there a simple (or even a complicated) workaround to this problem?
How do people deal with directory issues on Macs?

Any help greatly appreciated.