st: Unbiased standard deviation in summarize

From   Daniel Almar de Sneijder <>
Subject   st: Unbiased standard deviation in summarize
Date   Fri, 16 Nov 2012 17:00:24 -0500

Hello STATA,

First of all, my initial guess is that the computed standard deviation in
STATA does not correct for possible biases. However I am not sure as I
havent found any good documentation on this issue. My questions are:

1. Does anybody know whether the standard deviations, computed with the
command summarize, are unbiased?

2. If so, how can I correct for this?

Thank you.