Re: st: Make categories from a list within a variable

From   daniel klein <>
Subject   Re: st: Make categories from a list within a variable
Date   Fri, 26 Oct 2012 19:26:03 +0200

this might help you get started

Herrin, Jeph, Poen, Eva (2008). Stata tip 64: Cleaning up user-entered
string variables. The Stata Journal, 8(3): 444-445.

The article is available

Also see -help string functions-

I have a variable that asks about country of origin. Unfortunately, my
data entry people were not consistent, so I ended up with things like

1    german
2    french, german, spanish
4    finnish,irish,english,french,german, bohemian
5     polish and german
6    swedish & east european

How can I search this variable and create an indicator variable for
each ethnicity based on the string? Can I search within the string to
find a keyword?

*What is the proper lingo for the bolded text?

gen german = 0
replace german = 1 if coorigin contains "german"