st: Make categories from a list within a variable

From   Lynne Morgan <>
Subject   st: Make categories from a list within a variable
Date   Fri, 26 Oct 2012 11:52:37 -0500

I have a variable that asks about country of origin. Unfortunately, my data entry people were not consistent, so I ended up with things like this:
1    german
2    french, german, spanish
4    finnish,irish,english,french,german, bohemian
5     polish and german
6    swedish & east european

How can I search this variable and create an indicator variable for each ethnicity based on the string? Can I search within the string to find a keyword?
*What is the proper lingo for the bolded text?

gen german = 0
replace german = 1 if coorigin contains "german"

Lynne Morgan, MPH
Assistant Researcher
Survey of the Health of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin, Madison