Re: st: Windows 8

From   jhassell@stata.com (James Hassell)
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Windows 8
Date   Tue, 23 Oct 2012 10:23:53 -0500

Joseph Coveney wrote:

> Did you happen to notice any performance advantage (or any other
> advantage) for Stata of Windows 8 over Windows 7?  My understanding is
> that most or all of the changes in the operating system are of the
> user interface, and that the core functionality for computation, local
> data storage and retrieval, display clarity etc. is not changed.

The focus of our testing was to ensure trouble free operation of
Stata under the new operating system.   Our testing included exercising
Stata's user interface and the running certification scripts that all
Statas must pass before they can ship.

Usually, I could compare the execution times of the certification runs
and give you an accurate report.  In this case, however, the
certifications were performed in a virtual environment on a computer
busy doing other things as well, so I do not have timings to compare.

Nonetheless, based on what I've seen in those runs and in casual use,
I feel confident that performance is similar.

-- James Hassell
   jhassell@stata.com