Re: st: how to get age in number of years, months and days

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: how to get age in number of years, months and days
Date   Fri, 19 Oct 2012 00:21:36 +0100

I am not aware that you are missing something. My guess is that this
is too awkward to be usable and too fiddly to be an amusing
programming problem.

In particular, it doesn't sound an easy thing to work with given that
months are of unequal length. Even years and days sounds a little
tricky.

Most people seem satisfied with the difference in dates divided by
365.25. I've often seen one-liners giving that.

To spell out the obvious, you'd need to treat leap years carefully and
in particular anyone born on 29 February.

There should be a few such people on this list; what do you/they do?
Celebrate on 28 Feb or 1 March?

There is discussion of leap years at

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Leap year indicators
        1/04    How do I identify leap years in Stata?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/leapyear.html

Nick