Re: st: Multivariate kernel regression

From   Josh Hyman <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Multivariate kernel regression
Date   Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:04:04 -0400

Hi Austin (and others),

Thank you very much for your reply. Sorry about my delayed response -
I wanted to investigate more to make sure I understood your
suggestion.

I'm not sure your suggestion gets me exactly what I was looking for,
and I want to clarify. My reference to -lpoly- in my initial post may
have been confusing. I don't actually want to do kernel-weighted local
regressions. I want to estimate "multivariate kernel regression",
which to my understanding, doesn't actually involve any regressions at
all. It takes the weighted average of Y for all observations near to
the particular value of X, weighted using the kernel function. And
where X represents more than 2 variables. So, this actually seems the
same to me as multivariate kernel density estimation, which I also
don't see any user-written commands for in Stata. What I am looking
for, I guess is like a version of -kdens2- that allows for more than
one "xvar", and wouldn't output a graph (since it would be in greater
than 3 dimensions), but rather would output the fitted or predicted
values of the Y (like -predict, xb-) for each observation.

Regardless, it sounds like given your suggestion, one way to do this
is to loop over all possible combinations of the values of the X
variables and calculate the weighted Y for each combination using the
kernel of my choice? Please let me know if this would be your
suggestion, or if given my further clarification, if you know of any
user-written commands in Stata to do this, or if you have any other
suggestions.

Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry again for the delayed response.
Josh