Re: st: replace part of observations in a string variable

From   daniel klein <>
Subject   Re: st: replace part of observations in a string variable
Date   Wed, 17 Oct 2012 12:28:23 +0200

I suggest to also take a look into this:
(Nick Cox once again)

The problem might be characters in <new2> that appear to be spaces
(-char(32)-), but are something else (e.g. -char(160)-).

Also note that you probably do not want to -replace- the strings with
a space, i.e. " ", but with an empty string, i.e. "" (which is Stata's
missing value for strings).

Hi all,

I want to replace part of observations in the string variable to
missing values. For example, I want to replace "Pasir Mas" to either
"." or " " from a string variable named as "new2"

Observation "Pasir Mas" was not replaced by " " . What have I done
wrong? What is the better way of working with string variable?
Appreciate everyone's' time in responding to this.