Re: st: String variable behaving badly

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: String variable behaving badly
Date   Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:48:51 +0100

In problems like this I suspect the presence of non-standard
characters, say characters that look like spaces but aren't, or
unprintable characters.

I wrote -charlist- (SSC) as a utility which yields a listing of
distinct characters present in a string variable.

. charlist var1
 CEGaeglnovwy

. ret li

macros:
              r(chars) : " CEGaeglnovwy "
           r(sepchars) : "  C E G a e g l n o v w y   "
              r(ascii) : "32 67 69 71 97 101 103 108 110 111 118 119 121 160 "

The tell-tale detail (better seen in the saved results) is the
presence of char(160). Replace those characters by regular spaces

.  replace var1 = subinstr(var1, char(160), " ", .)

and the multiple personae of Ms Cawley collapse into one.

(I'd score very low on a sports quiz but I do remember her as a tennis player.)

Nick