st: Importing subset of a pipe delimited textfile

From   Rob Shaw <>
Subject   st: Importing subset of a pipe delimited textfile
Date   Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:13:34 +0100

I have a very large (around 4Gb) text file that has been pipe
delimited. It won't all fit in memory so I want to process it in

For fixed datasets I would use infile with the in 1/10000000 option
then 10000001/2000000 etc. However, this dataset has been pipe
delimited so I would need to use insheet, but insheet doesn't seem to
permit the "in" option.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks