Re: st: Manual calculation of scale factors after tobit and/or truncreg [econometrics help]

From   Arne Risa Hole <>
Subject   Re: st: Manual calculation of scale factors after tobit and/or truncreg [econometrics help]
Date   Sun, 14 Oct 2012 16:29:14 +0100

Hi Clara,

Here’s an example of how you can generate the equivalent of predict y,
ystar (ll, ul) “by hand”:

sysuse auto, clear
generate wgt=weight/100
tobit mpg wgt, ll(17) ul(24)

predict y1, ystar(17, 24)

predict xb, xb
gen a = (17-xb)/[sigma]_b[_cons]
gen b = (24-xb)/[sigma]_b[_cons]
gen y2 = 17*normal(a) + 24*(1-normal(b)) + (normal(b)-normal(a))*xb +

As you can see y1 and y2 are identical (except for rounding differences).

See Maddala (1983), p. 161, or Cong (2000) for the relevant formulas.

I hope this helps.

Cong, R. 2000. sg144: Marginal effects of the tobit model. Stata
Technical Bulletin 56: 27–34. Reprinted in Stata Technical Bulletin
Reprints, vol. 10, pp. 189–197. College Station, TX: Stata Press.
Available at

Maddala, G.S. 1983. Limited Dependent and Qualitative Variables in
Econometrics, Cambridge.