Re: RE: st: Checking to see if the association between two variables is linear or otherwise

Subject   Re: RE: st: Checking to see if the association between two variables is linear or otherwise
Date   Sat, 13 Oct 2012 09:51:34 -0400

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Justina Fischer <JAVFischer@gmx.de> wrote:
> see my post to David's comment. His critique applies only if educational levels are employed as continuous variable, which I never suggested.

Dummies for education level bins is essentially a zero-order spline
and so a regression spline gives a way to compromise between the
"wiggly" regression implied by dummies and the overly smooth one
represented by a linear term, so the choice isn't really an either/or.

Jay