Re: RE: st: Checking to see if the association between two variables is linear or otherwise

From   "Justina Fischer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: RE: st: Checking to see if the association between two variables is linear or otherwise
Date   Sat, 13 Oct 2012 01:46:30 +0200

Hi Amal,

from the education-growth literature I know that using educational levels is preferred over years in education....years in education can be very misleading (if you skipped classes, repeated classes, dropped out, etc). In addition, it is the degree that qualifies you for (certain) jobs.

The dummy variable approaches allows then the relation BMI-education to be different by educational level - in a way, this accounts for many different relations that are not linear.

There is a difference between 'linear relation' and using a 'linear model' - I am talking about (non)linear relations in a linear model (OLS), assuming your dependent variable is continuous.

The 'broad' histogramm for low educational levels may yield an insignificant coefficient for the low-education-dummy.

so try

xi: reg BMI i.education age gender (i.)income etc.  ...

and if you want you can post the results.

HTH

Justina

-------- Original-Nachricht --------