st: Keep/Drop Observations for Top/Bottom X%

From   Lisa Wang <lhwang0925@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Keep/Drop Observations for Top/Bottom X%
Date   Thu, 11 Oct 2012 20:34:01 +1100

Hi all,

I am unsure as to how I would go about keeping or dropping the
top/bottom X% of observations of a variable. I would like to do this
for further analysis on a subset of my data. For instance, I want to
do some further regressions for the top 10% of my observations based
on 'distance from home' and not the whole data set.

Thank you,
Lisa