st: break string into multiple variables

From   Sophie Moullin <sophiemoullin@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: break string into multiple variables
Date   Wed, 10 Oct 2012 19:32:25 -0400

Dear all,

I've got a number of string variables which contain answers for up to
13 questions within the broad variable category, which when destrung
are listed as one single numeric, e.g. 2222112222 (1 is yes, 2 is no).
I need to create separate variables for each question 1-13.

I haven't been able to find any example code for this on any of the
stata documentation or FAQ. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Sophie